Thursday, June 26, 2008

Greetings from GULU!

I have finally made it to the city Gulu in Northern Uganda! We left from JFK on Saturday and arrived in Kampala on Monday! We had a layover in Dubai so we went to a mall near by and the mall had an indoor ski slope! People were skiing and snowboarding! It was incredible! Dubai reminded me of Las Vegas and New York in one. There was also a TON of construction still going on! They frequently called it the Utopia City. Although it was pleasing to the eye, it seemed empty. The people there had lost their culture and had become money hungry. It looked like they were competing for who could build the tallest building, have the nicest car, own the most beautiful house. Might sound familiar.

We finally landed in Uganda after flying over Lake Victoria which was absolutly beautiful! The drive from the airport was eye opening. Along the road we saw many people walking in the streets, children as young as 4 or 5 working in the small stores. When I say small stores I mean little shacks. The severe poverty was overwhelming. Trash was everywhere, and I was told they sweep it into a gutter and burn it, that is how they through out their trash. Then when I looked out into the hills I saw big, nice houses. The distance between the poor and the wealthy was obvious. We stayed at a hostel for 2 nights and I woke up to monkeys talking in the trees. Don't get to do that everyday.

After a 6 hour bus ride and almost running over a child on a bike, scary moment, we made it to Gulu yesterday! The town is wonderful! Some teachers are staying at the Invisible children volunteer house and there are 10 of us who are staying at a Catholic Schoolcalled Christ the King. When we got to Christ the King, the head Principal/Nun of the school had beautiful flower petals layed out in the shape of a heart to welcome us! We all had a flower on each of our beds! They were so hospitable, it blew me away! The peopel in Gulu seem very welcoming to us. I will be meeting my partner teacher tomorrow, and I really looking forward to that!

I hope this message finds you all well and enjoying summer in the US! The students do not have summers here!

So Blessed...with a whole new meaning!
Casey

5 comments:

mary said...

Olson! I am so glad you made it to Africa safely! I will continue to pray for you while you are on your journey in Africa.

mary said...

...and i like the picture at the top!

Katiedollaz said...

yAY you made it I talked to your mom heard about your crazy thing in dubi!! love you keep writing so i know you are well

Michael T said...

Hi Casey. I'm so glad to hear you arrived safely. When I was in 6th grade I did a report on Lake Victoria and Victoria Falls and always wondered if it was as beautiful as they described. God bless. Love-Pops :)

Jaime Christoph said...

Casey, Know I haven't talked to in awhile but I am amazed at your trip to Uganda. I remember all those first overwhelming feeling when I traveled to Kenya two years ago. The most overwhelming thing is the joy and faith that everyone has there despite everything they lack. Blessed with a whole new meaning is exactly how I felt during my time in Africa. Hope all is well.