Monday, July 7, 2008

My School...St. Mary's Lacor!





























































Here are some pictures of the school I am teaching at! The bottom picture is of Denis (white shirt) and I, and the other teachers at St. Mary's (Matt is taking the picture), who are all wonderful! This weekend we had a 2 day teacher's conference in which we learned about many participatory teaching strategies. I had learned about many of these strategies in college (thanks to Betz Frederick) but learning about the strategies this weekend had a whole new impact and meaning to me. After the conference, Denis was telling me how he is thrilled about working together and using these new strategies in the classroom. I also left the conference with a new excitement for teaching, both in Uganda and in the States! During the conference my mind was racing with a ton of new ideas to use in my classroom! After the conference, I had the privilege to go visit Denis' home and family. I met his wife, one of his daughter's and his father. His wife did not speak much English so I was a little disappointed that I did not get to talk to her as much as I would have liked to. Denis had an actual house, which is rare. Most people live in huts. He lived on his father's land. His father owns a vocational school that is located right next to Denis' house. There were a ton of huts right next to his house, and he told me that his father let these people come stay there during the war. I met Denis' mother, Rose a few days ago at her second hand clothes shop. We walked there in the pouring rain! We stayed for about an hour until the rain stopped and we had some of the best conversation!




So the pictures! Bottom to top:




1.St. Mary's teachers!




2.The main building of classrooms.




3. The building where the students get their lunch.






4. Our biggest classroom, this one of the nicest classrooms in Gulu.






5. A bunch of Munu's (white people) in the back of a truck on our way to the conference.






6. Me on a Boda! Dad, don't be scared, sorry I am not wearing a helmet, they did not have any, I asked!




7. Me and some of the girls I have become really close with while being here, covered in beaded necklaces! A lady and some younger girls that have come back from being abducted make them and they came over to sell them , so ladies back home be ready for some beads!


8. It started pouring rain so Matt needed a shower and there had been no water for 2 days, so he got his soap and literally took a shower in the rain...amazing! He is going to kill me for putting up this picture!


9. Down town Gulu!


10. Everyone staying at Christ the King! Even Sister Appelonia who is our gracious host!


11. And there it is, our home in Gulu!


7 comments:

Georgia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JennaK said...

Casey, this is just a general comment... not so much on the picture, although we did hear about that. I just wanted to let you know that I usually do not blog or read people's blogs but every morning when I check email, I always end by looking at your blogspot and scrolling through the pictures and reading your story. It is a great start to my day and very inspirational. My family loves it too. Thank you for sharing with us. It also keeps alot in perspective as I get into all this wedding stuff. You are in my prayers in all of our prayer circles here. Keep up the work!
-Jenna (and the other Perry's)

Anna said...

case i've been looking all the time to see if you have updated your blog... i miss you. i officially decided you and i are going somewhere next summer. you and me. somewhere we've never been. :)

Lindsay Walls said...

Hey!
I just caught up on the last few days. I had tears in my eyes looking through the pics of the orphanage. How do we go about adopting one? :)

Thanks for your email. I'm so glad you're having an awesome time and know that I'm living vicariously through you! So be carefully missy! :)

mary said...

Olson! It looks and sounds like you are having an amazing time. Still praying for you.

Aaron said...

I can't wait to hear the accent that you have picked up. You are doing an awesome job placing God's fingerprints on every child and adult you encounter. God uses all things for the good of his people and I am sure your efforts are being used. Great Job.

Cindy said...

Casey,
Just amazing to see the pictures and hear your story! What a journey...May you be Blessed by our Maker. I love you and miss you!