Saturday, July 26, 2008

Volleyball at St. Mary's!











My time in Gulu is now over. This last and final week has been absolutely incredible! We had some incredible lessons in class. The students are finally getting used to working in groups, and realizing it is a safe environment. They are becoming open to the new strategies Denis is using, and that is huge when they have been taught by 'talk and chalk' their entire lives.






When we arrived at St. Mary's I noticed there had been a volleyball net laying in the corner of the staff room. I told my self there would be a volleyball court put up at St. Mary's before I left Gulu. Everyday I would bring my volleyball to school and the students would wait outside the staffroom every break to play. We passed it around in a circle, and they seemed to love it! I couldn't even imagine what they would be like if they had a court to actually
play the real game of volleyball. SO this week I was determined to make it happen. I found some tall wooden poles with Denis' help. We found a panga, which is a machetti, to help dig the holes for the poles. The S-4 boys completely took ownership of the project. I thought it was great! Thursday came around and the net was up and ready to go! The students put 6 people on each side, 2 ref's, and a whole cheering section around the court. I could not help my smile from ear to ear after I left school that day. Friday we played probably 6 games on break and after school!


I will not have internet access for the next few days, so I am planning on writing one final blog when I return to the U.S.


We are leaving Gulu today, going on a Safari, rafting down the Nile, then BUNGEE JUMPING over the Nile! So pray for my safety over these next few days :)

Thank you for your continued encouragement and prayers through this journey! I love you all and will be home soon!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey Casey:) just read your last blog... so cool you got to put up the volleyball net before you left:) hope that the last two weeks of school have gone well for you! insanely curious to know how you are and to hear more of your adventure:)
peace and love to you and yours...